Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hymns?

I just had a conversation with a friend tonight about hymns and contemporary Christian music. I happen to be of the opinion that listening to hymns and some (emphasis on some) contemporary Christians music is fine outside of corperate worship. I would love to know your opinion on the subject. Some of the hymns of the church are beautiful expressions of love for God and theology. I have recently been listening to a cd that is new to me entitled "In Christ Alone" by Keith and Kristyn Getty. Two of the songs on it have been wonderful to draw my mind back to Christ. I have loved the hymn "In Christ Alone" for a long time. The words in it remind me of what Christ has done and the position He has put me in. I share the lyrics with you so you know what I mean:

"In Christ alone, my hope is found. He is my light, my strength, my song.
This cornerstone, this solid ground; firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love! What depth of peace! When fears are stilled, when strivings cease.
My comforter, my all-in-all. Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone who took on flesh, Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness, scorned by the ones He came to save.
Till on that cross as Jesus died, the wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Christ was laid. Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay, Light of the world by darkness slain,
Then bursting forth in glorious day, up from the grave He rose again.
And as He stands in victory, sins curse has lost its grip on me.
For I am His. And He is mine. Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life; No fear in death; This is the power of Christ in me.
From life's first cry to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home. Here in the power of Christ I'll stand."

Let me know what you think. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would tend to agree with you. Perhaps Christian music could be said to belong to the category of the "whatever is good..." that Paul talks about, just as it's refreshing to read Christian poetry or literature.

Logan said...

I also agree that Christian music, for the most part, falls into a category similar to prayer put to song or as encouragement from one Christian to another. Listening to it is even more profitable (be it of sound theology) than listening to say, Country, for example, which by the way is not a personal favourite :)

But when it comes to worship, we are directly addressing God by praising His attributes. It's a very distinct part of worship and requires the very, very best. Thankfully God has provided the best for us.

Henry once said that it's not as though other songs are unlawful to sing, but we should ask ourselves whether they are profitable. In worship especially, instead of focusing on (like Dan Y said) the Peanut Butter and Jelly and spending much time debating over whether we are allowed to eat it, we should focus on the steak that God has graciously set before us, and thankfully partake of it.

Thems are my thoughts. You asked ;)